Monday, October 3, 2011

Adventures in Waiting...

It has certainly been an adventurous few weeks for the Reeds. We have had doctor appointments every week, and have managed to go to the ER or urgent care each week for the past three weeks. Granted, one visit was for me for a ridiculously huge and ugly spider bite that is now gone, three weeks later.

Anyway, things are progressing well, and we are six days away from Finn's due date. We had a long night last night, with contractions coming for hours, anywhere from 15 to 120 seconds long, and from seven to 15 minutes apart. All of the sudden, they decided to stop at three in the morning. I guess little sprout just didn't want to be born yet. Shannon was able to get some sleep, more than I was. I was awake, restless, ready to get her in the car if I needed to. I had my hand on her tummy, feeling the contractions and timing them, even when she was sleeping. I guess I did learn something in those classes, after all.

A couple weeks ago, we had a visit to the ER, when Shannon  hadn't felt little Finn moving much. We called the on-call midwife and she had Shannon drink some juice and lay down to do a kick count. There should have been ten in an hour or more. We only felt four, so I got Shannon up and in the car and off we went. The ER guy got us up to the fourth floor, and the nurse got Shannon all hooked up to the monitors. Finn's heartbeat was strong as ever, so that was a great sign. She seemed to just be tired that day and decided to freak her mommies out. We went back home knowing that she was fine, and Shannon was fine, so our minds were at ease.

Last week we went to have a visit with a woman who basically coordinates the birth process up at the hospital. We went over our birth plan and got the papers to fill out for Finn's birth certificate. I will be able to be the second parent on it, so that will be awesome. Being a legal guardian right off the bat is awesome. I mean, she is my kid, after all, so that shouldn't be an issue, but sometimes it is. I am glad that in this case, because Shannon and I are in a DP, it isn't.

So, now everything is in order and we know where to go for the hospital and what to do, and we're ready. Shannon has had contractions and I've done the timing. Now we just need little Finny to cooperate and get on with it. We are ready for her and are getting impatient for her. This has been the longest pregnancy ever, since we have basically known since the day of insemination that Shannon was pregnant. I don't think I can take another night like last night, so I am hoping she will come soon.

My sister pointed out that St. Francis' day is tomorrow. That would be a perfect day to be born, given our love for animals, that we are sure to pass on to her... :) Come on, little one. The world is waiting to meet you.

1 comment:

  1. i love you. so much. thank you, for, well everything. :)

    ReplyDelete