Monday, January 16, 2012

Three Months Old…

And still learning! Every day is a new adventure, for all of us! Finn has recently discovered her hands, which has been fascinating to not only her, but to us as well. She will sit for long periods of time, watching her hands move, bringing them up to her face, and wiggling her tiny fingers, turning her wrists so the back of her hands face her, then turn the palms back to her. She looks so inquisitively at them, and with such wonder that these things are there in front of her, moving and fidgeting. I am curious if she even knows that SHE is making these marvelous little things do the moving, or if she thinks they are some magical creatures she has yet to figure out.
Finny has also recently discovered her mouth. This is a fun little game we are starting to play. Everything has started to find its way into the small opening in her face. Her hands, our fingers, her doggie, our clothes, her blankets. Anything and everything she can reach finds a way up to her little lips and somehow ends up in a pool of baby spit. Now, this wouldn’t be terrible, if her Ina (me) didn’t have a huge aversion to drool. It is so gross to feel this wet spot forming on my shirt from my little girl nuzzling her way into my chest. I know she is just trying to find her cozy spot, so I try to deal with it, but I seriously get dry heaves from it. I fear I am going to be in serious trouble when she starts teething. I can handle any other gross bodily fluid that comes out of her, but this drool thing is beyond me. It stems from a bad childhood experience at the babysitters. I feel sick just thinking about it, so enough about me.
As I sit here writing this, two little blue eyes are looking at me, and when I look back over at her, I see the biggest smile from my kiddo. She is trying to pretend she is shy but she is really not good at that game. When I start to talk to her, she will start to coo and make some noises back. It is the sweetest sound I have ever heard. Her little voice is so soft and adorable (when she isn’t screaming her head off). Luckily for us, she only does that when she is uncomfortable or when she really needs something, which isn’t really that often. We tend to know her schedule and have learned her cues pretty quickly. We are still learning and she is a good teacher. She is patient most of the time, which helps us not get too overwhelmed. We are lucky to have her and have such an “easy” baby.
 Finny got a lot of fun toys and books for Christmas that will help her learn and develop as she grows. We have already started her playing with some of them, as well as some of the stuff she got from the showers we had before she was born. She loves the tactile stuff and things that make noise. She also loves to see her reflection in the little mirrors on some of her toys. I admit that I enjoy playing with her toys, as well. It is fun for us all, and we really enjoy the time we get to spend with her, teaching her different things and helping her in her growth and development. We make sure to tell her what things are and point out colors and shapes and animals or things like that. She will pick things up, I am sure. She is a smart little cookie.
Three months has gone by so fast even though it isn’t really that long of a time. The delivery and bringing her home seems like SO long ago, even more than three months. Now we are pretty much in a routine, so used to having her here, very comfortable with her, and can’t really remember a time that she wasn’t here. We waited for her for so long, that it really feels like she was always with us. She just wasn’t physically with us for a while. Now she is, and it seems so natural to take care of her. Yes, there is something new every single day, and we are learning and growing right along with her, but it is the most amazing thing I have ever done in my life. Having a family is the greatest gift ever.
Now I just have to wait for Finny to wake up so we can play and laugh, make faces at each other and talk, torment the dogs and have fun the rest of the day. Then when Mommy gets home, she can join us, and our hearts will be happy and our home will be filled with laughter, joy, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment