Friday, April 1, 2011

Beating Hearts

We had our second appointment today. Sprout is near the end of week 11 today. We were originally supposed to see the doctor who had done my hysterectomy, but she ended up being sick, so our appointment got rescheduled with someone else, at an earlier time, which was more than fine with both of us! Her name is Susan Heinz. She was very nice to both of us, as everyone in the practice has been, mostly. It has been a great experience for both of us.
She went over Shannon’s records and test results, and everything was great. Then, she got out this little radio looking device, and put some jelly on the end of a microphone looking thing. She put that end on Shannon’s belly, and searched for a little tiny heartbeat. She found Shannon’s pretty easily, which was strong and loud. Finding Sprout’s was a bit harder for her to do, but she did find it. At first, it was very quiet and faint, and soon she lost it. When she found it again, there was no mistaking it.
Sprout’s heartbeat was strong and loud and ferociously beating. I couldn’t stop smiling hearing my little one’s heart beating so healthily in there. Then, there was this really loud, almost scratching noise. Susan said that was little Sprout moving for us! I sat there listening, with my hands over my mouth, hearing Sprout’s heartbeat, hearing the random movements from Sprout, looking over at Shannon grinning at me, seeing Susan turn to me smiling and giving me a thumbs-up sign. It was awesome.
I am in so much awe at this little being growing in my wife’s belly. It’s amazing to me that such a little thing can have such a strong heartbeat and can be moving and growing so fast. Just a few weeks ago it was the size of a pea, and now it’s the size of a lime! In a few more weeks, it will be as big as a peach! There is so much development going on in this short amount of time. It’s just amazing to me.
I can’t wait until our next appointment when we will get to see our little Sprout again and be able to see how much bigger s/he has become! And maybe then we will be able to see if it is a he or she!

No comments:

Post a Comment